Douwe Bob’s “Summer in your Eyes” was a definite hit, but no one really likes the Summer Heat mangling/damaging one’s eyesight. Excessive Sun Exposure can cause blurry eyes, eye pain and eye strain, though these problems are short-lived, they can be extremely uncomfortable.
A good nutritious diet can help to keep the eye issues at bay and help preserve a healthy vision in summers.
As a Nutritionist, I am always looking to include a few delicious and antioxidant-rich recipes which can be a feast for your eyes and at the same time protect your beautiful eyes too.
Inclusion of Superfoods like almonds, berries, dark green leafy vegetables, red bell peppers, sunflower seeds, sweet potatoes, salmon, poultry, beans and legumes, eggs, squash, broccoli and Brussel sprouts in your day to day meals are a definite trick to healthy eyes.
A complete Macro and Micro compilation goes as below:
- Most fruits and vegetables contain Vitamin C, including oranges, grapefruit, strawberries, papaya, green peppers and tomatoes.
- Vitamin E can be found in vegetable oils (safflower and corn oil), almonds, pecans, wheat germ and sunflower seeds.
- For beta-carotene, try deep orange or yellow fruits and vegetables such as cantaloupe, mangos, apricots, peaches, sweet potatoes and carrots.
- Dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, collard greens, broccoli, and asparagus are the primary sources of lutein and zeaxanthin.
- Good sources of zinc include beef, pork, lamb, oysters, eggs, shellfish, milk, peanuts, whole grains and wheat germ.
- Good sources of omega-3 fatty acids are leafy green vegetables, nuts, fish, and vegetable oils such as canola, soy, and especially flaxseed.
Remember, it’s never too late or early to start eating right!
About the Author
Geetika Jangda is a qualified Mumbai based dietician/nutritionist and health consultant.